Welcome to what is now going to be known as the Small Press Publisher Spotlight here in the Mind Meld! With this Spotlight, as with Kris in the past it'll be focusing on Small Press Publishers, and the latest to join us in this is the one and only David Sandoval! The idea was something that was born through Warren Wesson's awesome mind!
Mr. Sandoval himself!
Robert McClelland's Interview with David Sandoval
1. For those who don't know about you or what it is you do exactly. Would you introduce yourself and the Publisher you run?
Hi my name is David Sandoval and I’m the publisher for N.A.S Studios. I’m also the creator and writer to most of our books.
2. What gave you the idea to start the company? I’ve been a comic fan since I was about 10 yrs old and for years even during my time in film school I always wondered what it would be like to create your book. Since I focused in screenwriting I decided to try it out with some of my original ideas and The Tribulations of Abaddon was the first actual story I wrote. Since then and 2 years ago N.A.S was born. 3. How long has the company been around for? I started N.A.S October 21 2011. So I can easily say were at the 2 year mark or at least close to it. 4. Right on! What genres do you prefer to dabble in? Whether when it’s reading a comic or creating one. Honestly I’m pretty open to writing whatever comes to mind but for some reason it always ends up with a little horror twist. HAHAHA.
Now that's a wicked looking sword!
Ain't it purty?
5. As I've seen on your FB profile and the N.A.S Studios page that you're currently running an Indiegogo for Tribulations of Abaddon. Can you tell us what that's been like for you? And what made you decide to use a fundraising site?
TOA is the biggest project I’ve tackled with N.A.S, the story not only has 12 issues as of now but there are so many people involved that we got Covers, Pinups and Exclusives all over the place.
6. If it’s a success, how far are you hoping to take the title?
We have big plans for TOA, with the response were getting from fans and lots of professionals in the industry we’ve started planning for other media’s and a few other surprises.
7. If you could focus solely on one genre for your titles, what would it be?
Fantasy - Horror
8. Where do you hope to see the company in the next 5 years?
It’s hard to tell where we’ll be in 5 years as I tend to take things one day at a time and I rarely count my chickens before they hatch. But In 5 years we should have most of our title out and getting distributed all over the U.S.
9. Aside from Tribulations of Abaddon, can you tell us what other happenings are going on at N.A.S Studios?
Besides TOA, In production, Heart of Stone, I've started working on Black Mass #2, The Cursed and the Damned #1 and Fudoshin #1 should all be out this year.
Can never go wrong with some Werewolves!
Fudoshin variant cover. You know its not gonna end well for whoever's got him cornered!
10. If there was one thing you could go back and do differently, what would it be? And why?
11. Since starting N.A.S Studios, who has been some of your favorite people to work with?
Wow, that’s a good question. I can honestly say that as of NOW every person involved with N.A.S is a pleasure to work with. Everyone brings something different to the table and when 2 or more heads are working together magic happens. So I love working with every single person involved with me and N.A.S at this very moment.
12. And for my last question, for any starting out in the comic book world. What would your advice be to them?
With it being so easy to network nowadays, try and get professional opinions about your work, and always be humble about it. This industry is way too small for EGOS.
Editor's Note:And there you have it folks! To stay updated on all things N.A.S Studios, head on over to their Facebook page and give them a like!